Tuesday 23 August 2016

The Rise of Anthonia Alasa Ojenagbon and Silton Kitchen.

  • A recipient of Federal Government Youwin Initiative
  • Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship Programme
  • She has featured in several Newsprints both locally and internationally.
  • She is an advocate of NO To RAPE and the Founder of Bruised But Not Broken. A social cause that speaks against abuse and rape. She survived Rape from a close relative at an early age and that has not stopped her from launching forward.


Ladies and Gentlemen, Read a little about her journey here, in her WORDS.

I am still celebrating Pepperlicious Snails because Pepperlicious Snails and l have come a long way.

Weeks ago life happened again but through it all l am grateful to still be around. Yes, grateful I am still around. When l got the message from Marketing Ministers UK about this award, l didn't know how to express my emotions. Here I am thanking God I am still here, and now this... Hmmn!

I tried to write but didn't know what to write or remember what to write. But in the place of prayer two days ago everything l had forgotten came and dear Lord, you know I am grateful. #‎ObuluJesu

Let me tell you about this darling called Pepperlicious Snails ready to eat. When l started selling snails’ l got lots of encouragement from my class mates at Pan Atlantic University CEM 11 but l didn't think about what would happen after the programme. I thought the patronage would continue, but how wrong I was.

Alas, it was not so. I got so frustrated in my effort to market, l tried all the marketing methods l knew and just everything seem to work against me, of course l became depressed, crying daily became the order of the day, l just wanted to be useful, every day my husband will beg me to keep hope alive, Sylvester will tell Tonia there is greatness inside of you, l will make snails and give out for free so people could just taste and know it’s delicious, l started selling Sunday Jollof rice after services on Sunday, some people will order and will never collect it, they won’t pick their calls, l will be forced to give out the rice, because l am a very creative and restless person, l begged my husband to pay for a new course l went to learn shoe and bag making, l even got a certificate for it.

But you see there is a God who is all knowing .A merciful God who is the father of the fatherless and Helper of the helpless. The God who makes a way where there is no way. The God who sits in Heaven and makes the earth His footstool. The Agbanilagbatan.

In 2012 the federal government program Youwin was for only women, 1200 women were going to be selected from all the geo political zones of Nigeria to get grant to fund their businesses, God in His infinite mercy decided that Pepperlicious snails’ business plan was one of the 1200 finalist. I cannot describe the shock that followed. How can this be possible, 1200 women from the whole Nigeria and my name made the list. How when l don’t know anybody in power, when l don’t have any rich uncle, Immediately l heard my name was among the finalists l started crying and my husband says to me Tonia you should be happy but l was just crying. My joy knew no bound, my tears were wiped away, l didn't have to beg again before my snails were bought. All of a sudden this girl Tonia was intelligent after all.

This same Pepperlicious snails got an invitation to the state house Aso Rock to be exhibited and a box of our mouthwatering snails was presented to the then president of Nigeria Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, all through my stay in Aso Rock l was in shock. Even inside Aso Rock an incident happened and l almost didn't exhibit after l had set up my stand the previous day but God raised voices for me and my product was prepared at the state house kitchen and l was eventually allowed to exhibit.

This same Pepperlicious snails was selected by Tony Elumelu foundation as one of the very first 1000 entrepreneurs in Africa.

Now Pepperlicious snails’ works wonders at high class events l have to pinch myself if it’s real. We make pepperlicious snails in bulk for events now and we have added fried yam, plantain, water yam balls and akara to the menu.

Now you know why I am so happy and grateful. It’s not been easy but I have come too far to give up

What do you have in your hand? What do so well and you don’t think anything good will come out of?  That is what will launch you out to greatness. You can still get things on merit don’t get twisted.