Tuesday 14 July 2015

ESCALATOR DILEMMA

It was a sunny  Saturday in 2009. I had a meeting to attend at the Onikan city mall. It was the meeting of the “Infotech Excos”. Now, Infotech Group is one of the Lagos State NYSC community development groups. According to history, the group was started by Gbenga Sesan and the purpose is mainly to bring ICT knowledge to secondary school students.

I was the Vice president of the group in my set and sincerely, I will confess that the group served its purpose. I was able to know vibrant girls who have grown to be ladies of purpose. One of them is Mojisola.

After our passing out parade, we decided to meet and discuss on how to map out a long-lasting career plan by starting our own ICT Company. We had people who were futuristic and daring. We decided to meet at a popular eatery located inside the city mall.

This very day, I had no premonition of the aesthetics inside the mall. I have not even been to the mall before so I had no idea I was going to face my fear. I had on one of my favourite jeans, a yellow top and a heel to finish the look. Applied my makeup and set out to meet the other team members. I was actually a bit late so I needed to hurry up but being one who will not trade her fashion sense for anything, I chose to catwalk into the mall.

On entering, I saw my fear. There is an escalator to be used in other to get to the eatery. Now, don’t get me wrong. I have had opportunity to use the escalator before but most times; I always see an alternative which is a stair so I have perfected the act of boycotting the escalator. I don’t know how to use it, I have never used one prior to that time.

Now, before you start shaking your head and saying “Oh my Gosh, this girl is so local”, just post the picture of the escalator in your living room and show me the one you grew up with. Escalators are not our thing here and most of us have terrible stories about our first time experimenting with it

I got inside, looked right, left and center and there was no alternative. Oh my God. How on earth? Who designed this place for Pete sake? You see, if not that I had entered the mall with a lot of bang and all the guys downstairs felt my entrance, it would have been better. But the way I entered self didn’t give me the courage to turn around and ask anybody how to use it.

So I braced up. Studied two people used it and I told myself, you can do it. I repeated it to myself. You are brilliant, intelligent, smart, brave and knowledgeable so using this mere metal is not a problem. More so when I saw a little girl of about 10 years took a stride toward it and ran up it.

I walked with all the efizzy in the world to the escalator, and placed one of my legs on the first step while the other was right on the floor. Then, I balanced my hands separately on the handrails. Not knowing that one of the handrails was for people going up while the other was for people coming down. I thought I had done the right thing by placing my hands on the two hand rest. That was where my problem started from.

It was a free for all film that day. As the escalator was pushing me up, it was also pulling me down. I was dangling with my leg in two separate steps. I started screaming. People shopping came out in troops. I was screaming so loud. I called Jesus, I screamed Daddy, and I started shouting names of my colleagues. If you have never seen a typical village girl display before, then missing my action is a carryover for you. Even Jenifa had nothing close to me that day.

Some people were laughing, some were telling me what to do. One guy was shouting “take your hands off the rails. Take your hands off. Free your hands.” For where? I didn’t answer him. Take my hands off and fall down. God forbid. I was just there screaming and shouting until the guy came to my rescue by forcefully releasing my hands and the escalator took me up. By then, it was already a full cinema house. Like I care? I just took one bold glance at all the spectators, took a deep breathe in and walked away.

By the time we finished the meeting, my mates were already laughing and making a scene out of it so I told them, if you people don’t want another drama again, just hold my hand and lets use it together. I eventually used it with another male friend who held my hand and tutored me on how to use it.

It’s been almost seven years and I still cannot forget that day. Now, I can use it with all authority. However, I learnt my lessons. Some of them I have penned down here.

  • There are some things that books won’t teach you only experience will.
  • Don’t run away from your fears, face it. Most times, they are like tissue papers
  • Be courageous. Don’t be ashamed of your little incapacity. Nobody is born to know how to do things. We all learn.
And before you say that babe sef no tush at all, drop your own escalator story. We will love it


|Mide Pearl|