Wednesday 15 July 2015

THE BEAUTY AND THE RAPIST

I never thought about this until I watched that late night program on a local television station couple of weeks back. The topic was Rape and how to Move on after it or something of sort. Recently, I have started taking rape cases seriously after my experience with a young lady that was raped by six different men.

Her trauma, tears, pains, bruises and cries broke me down. I was totally broken. I was afraid for my own life and at a point; people thought I was taking it too far. Well, you can’t really blame me. I was the first person that got in touch with her after the rape incident and cleaning the blood off her skin due to the iron belts that the perpetrators used on her was by far the most dehumanizing experience I have ever witnessed. That day, I got the full meaning of depression and I understand that it’s possible to be depressed for someone else’s problem.

Due to this, I have taken Rape issues, training, seminars and talks seriously. That particular night, the guest that spoke on air was a victim too. She was raped from a very tender age and the rape continued till she was a teenager.

She talked about how she felt it was all her fault, how she would run to the bathroom to wash herself up as a small girl and then stay there to cry. She said she felt like an outcast. She thought the men saw her as a pretty girl so she made herself less pretty.

She is married now and when the host asked her how she felt when her husband came along based on the fact that she had to open up to the man about her past ordeal, she responded by saying “ My husband said he’s ready to walk with me and subdue all the fears. He understood and it took me a long time to wholly accept him”

She went further by saying “You know, it’s so funny how men can easily date and marry a lady who has history of several boyfriends she has slept with than a lady who was raped”

That is where I am going exactly. I started thinking, that sounds awkward but it’s true. Men would rather date a late who is a serial lover with records of sex involved than a lady who was raped by one, two or three men.

Why? The answer is simple, STIGMA. The society has succeeded in placing monumental stigma on rape victims so much that when we are supposed to embrace and care for them, we stigmatized and make them look like a filthy rag. Unfortunately, this generation is worse off.

Then I ask again, who then is the fool?

You would rather marry a woman who has slept with 16 men and carry out numerous abortions than a woman who was raped. What is your yardstick for measuring the two instances?

It’s unfortunate how we have turned out to be. I sincerely think no woman will wake up and expect been raped. We should lessen the burden on the shoulders of rape victims. They are going through a lot already. We shouldn’t add to their burdens.

If we can’t build them then we shouldn’t break them.

| RAPE is EVIL | RAPE IS BAD | DON’T RAPE | STOP RAPE |STOP THE STIGMATIZATION AGAINT RAPE VICTIMS|


|Mide Pearl|