Saturday 19 March 2016

A GOOD TEACHER CAN NEVER BE FORGOTTEN

Following the recent uproar about the Queen’s College Biology teacher who was accused of sleeping with innocent female students, I went down memory lane. No, it’s not actually a memory lane. It’s something I remember every day. Something I had wanted to write about for years but I just told myself “zip it”


I want us to pick out two lessons from this story. Firstly, parents shouldn’t even think their kids are too young to feel something fantastic about someone. Parents should know that there is no age limit to infatuate about people. Finally, there are still good, incorruptible teachers out there. Teachers that are bound by oaths to protect the wards in their care. I met one and I’m forever grateful.
Let me deviate a little bit. Most of the cases of the kidnapped girls we have around (like Ese Oruru and the likes) also stem from the facts that parents are not doing what they are meant to do. Parents are guardians and they should by all means be a monitoring spirits over their kids especially when they are still growing. Poverty shouldn’t be the reason for allowing your child to have unnecessary rights and privileges. Apart from the kids who were raped by strangers and complete mad people, 85% of rapes cases, forced marriages and kidnap are perpetrated by people known to the families of the victims. Negligence is playing a lot of roles in what we see today. Parents should brace up and do their part.
I was opportune to have some privileges as a growing child. One of them is attending a private Nursery and primary school, one of the best in my state back then. That rare opportunity afforded me everything I needed to build on later in life. Coupled with this; I had the best teachers any child could ever wished for. I am most grateful. Of all the teachers, one stood out. Uncle Sola my first crush.
As a child, barely 7 years old, I really didn’t know anything about love or infatuation or whatever you call it but one thing I know for sure, I really LIKE uncle sola. He was my teacher in primary four but even before he became my teacher, I had always Like him. Funny as it might sound, Uncle sola likes me in return. Ours was mutual. Mutual LIKENESS.
He picked up interest in me from when I was in primary 2, right before he became my teacher and sincerely, it was pure, brotherly, undiluted, unstained, agape love. I was so close to him as a child to the extent that in the absence of other students, I call him by name. (Now, I know Ayodeji will say Yippee, I said it)
Uncle Sola is unarguably handsome, neat and from a rich home. Rumour has it that his mother didn’t want him to pick up the teaching job but he ignored her and went ahead to pick up the job. He was a good teacher.
I always wait for him to resume every morning as I stay glued to the barbed fence to catch a glimpse of this handsome, finely built young man. I was barely 7 years old. He walks in a way I cannot describe. His smile can melt the stony hearts and his skin; you don’t have to look for Ramsey Noah again.
What most students didn’t know was that, as I wait to catch a glimpse of him, he was always ready to see me too. He would walk gently to my side and say good morning brainy. Those words were the things I needed. I could live my life on them.
As I got promoted to primary four, needless to say that from my primary 2 through primary 3 I had female’s teachers who feel the same level of love towards me. I was always clinching the first position except for primary 1 because I had a double promotion from Nursery 1 so I skipped Nursery 2 and it was hard coping with the rest of the class immediately.
Primary 4 was my best year so far. First, because uncle sola was going to be my teacher and he had told me on several occasions how he can’t wait to have me in his class. I feel the same way too. Unfortunately, I was meant to leave for JSS1 from Primary 3 but Uncle Sola was among the chief protesters who told my father I was too young for such leap.
Primary 4 came quickly and I was right there in Uncle Sola’s class. My best year ever. I sincerely wish we have more teachers like uncle sola in this country. Well, maybe to me, I saw in him a perfect gentleman. The first thing he did was that he made sure my table was directly beside his own. He monitors my work, progress and development as if I was his little Sister. Despite the fact that I take my lunch to school, I still get to eat from his food. He doesn’t eat without leaving some for me.
Then one day, I had an issue with him. Anytime he gives me food to eat, he expects that I use his spoon. Without wanting to sound too picky, I hate saliva with a passion. I don’t do saliva with people and that started from my early age. So, I normally exchange his spoon with mine every time before eating his food until I was caught.

Uncle sola felt so bad and irritated with my attitude. He insisted I use his spoon. I told him I needed to wash it, he declined. I was angry and he was too. He was angry that I could treat him like that. I was angry that he made me to break my secret aversion. I had no option but to use his spoon with my eyes full of tears, I told him I really didn’t like what just played out.
He kept quiet. Later, he called me and told me how treating people with disdain can make one lose friends and trust. He was sincere in his words. I love that about him. We were best of buddies throughout the term.
It didn’t take time before news started going round. I was dating uncle sola. I still don’t understand how that rumour started. It was a dent in his image but he never stopped liking me. He told me severally how he’s so proud of me. The term ran faster than I thought. I had to leave for secondary school this time around.
I was stopped from going in primary 3 but now in Primary 4, my father was not going to hear any of that. My preparation was not without him. Without charging a kobo, he gave me 1hour extra training and watched me grow. Most times, in-between the training, he would stop and watch me closely. He wasn’t happy and I knew that.
I wrote the unity exams in Primary 4 and i came out among the top 15 in the state. My father was super proud of me. Uncle Sola was so proud of me. I was proud of myself. I was still attending school pending the vacation period.
This time around, all the best students in Primary 3A and 3B were placed in a single class. I had to work extra hard. Uncle Sola made sure I did. It was a tough one. I must confess it was very tough. Things were changing fast. New students came to join us and these guys were good. Some of my classmates in other classes were good too. I knew I had to put in my best but unfortunately, my best was not looking too good.
How can you be the best in a class that parades Ewo Mebradu, Ayodeji Olawumi, Osekita Abimbola just to mention a few. How can you? I told myself it doesn’t look like I was going to get any prize this year. I have six super brilliant pupils to compete with. The test results were coming out and I wasn’t really super proud of my results.
That afternoon, I sat in class, processing the thought in my head. Quietly, I felt the tap on my shoulder. “Hey Brainy, What is wrong?” It was uncle Sola. He knows when to talk to me and what to say. I wasn’t sure I was ready to let him in into my fear. However, there was something about his eyes; they can make you confess your sins without thinking twice. I told him I was scared I wasn’t going to get any prize this year. He smiled and told me to cheer up. “What will you like to eat?” I kept mum. Then he said, let’s take a walk round the school. It was break time and we had all the time we needed to walk and talk.


He told me he’s been thinking along that line too but he’s working out something. The exams came fast and ended. It was the prize giving day and as we prepared to go; my father asked me, in his usual manner, the number of prizes I was bringing home. I wasn’t sure I was getting any.
We got late to the venue. They had started already. At the back of the hall, as my father made to park his car, I caught a glimpse of my teacher. He was there, standing alone. As he saw our car, his face lit up. I came out of the car and walked slowly and timidly towards him. Today, there was no hug from me. That was against our usual practice, I normally hug him every morning. Dejected and down casted, I looked at him.
He smiled, hugged me and told me he was scared I was not coming. He was scared he was never ever going to see me again. I smiled but not convincingly. The noise from the megaphone brought me to reality. It was primary4 turn for the price collection. Hey girl, run ahead and get a sit. It was uncle sola telling me that as he made to greet my father.
I ran in and as I made to sit down, I heard my name. The best student in science is Olamide…… I couldn’t believe it. What happened? It has never happened in the history of my school before. They don’t give price based on subjects. And why were they giving just three prizes (English, Science and Mathematics)? I walked to the podium, as the congregation stood up to clap for me and with tears in my eyes, I took my prize.
I knew it was his handwork. My handsome teacher. Sometimes I call him handsome. I scanned the room for him but he wasn’t there. Stepping out, I saw him still standing as I ran towards him. He opened his hands and took me to his embrace then I felt the cold water on my body. Uncle Sola was crying. What happened? “I cannot wrap my head around not seeing you in this school again. You made my teaching life worth the while and even though I don’t have a younger sister, I see in you my sister. I will miss you brainy”
I showed him the prize. Without uttering word, he knew what I was saying. “I actually did that. I couldn’t imagine seeing you not having a prize to take home so I broke the prize into three different categories”. I was stunned. I couldn’t utter a word. Then he said “Olamide, I am super proud of you and I will miss you”.
Fast forward, three years later, I was now in JSS3. We were on holiday and I went on an errand for my peeps. As I was coming back, I saw a black Volvo tinted car parked in front of me. I walked past without looking at the car twice then I heard my name. Who could this be? Turning around to see who it was, I was stunned to see Uncle Sola.
Unbelievable! I ran towards him like i used to do back then and he took me off my feet. He must have spent hours looking at me and wondering how fast I had evolved. Then he said, “I have been looking for you brainy. Every holiday period, I come around to your street to see if I can see you. I miss you so much and after you left, teaching was not so much fun again so I left”. Oh my God. I felt like I was in heaven already. My uncle. My adorable teacher. Handsome and neat but this time, he was looking more handsome and wealthy.
We talked about everything. Maybe not everything. I bade him good bye and left.
It’s been 21years since I saw him last. I still wish to see him. I tried getting his contact from Ayodeji Olawumi but he just wouldn’t give me. I heard he’s a senator or maybe honorable in Abuja or Maybe one wealthy popular man like that.
Oya, Ayodeji, please give me his number, for where, he refused just because he still believes we had something together and that robbed him of his own first position 29years ago. There is no time Ayodeji doesn’t accuse me of dating my teacher. (I know its “Painment” thing for him) and because of this, he has refused to let me have his contact.
Hubby too thinks, I should not have his contact (Jealousy is a bad thing sha)
Anyways, if you see Ayodeji coming up on my wall to abuse me most times, its’ not because of anything but because of uncle sola’s case.

Issorait sef, what is the long and short of the epistle? There are good teachers, who will not defile a child, who will genuinely love a child and train them to be the best. Uncle Sola was one of them. Glad our path crossed.