Thursday 20 August 2015

ECHOES FROM THE PAST: CHILDISH ADVENTURE

Looking through the recent advert for Alexander McQueen dresses brought back this memory. Its one memory I will not forget in my lifetime. Things we do because we are ignorant and we want to belong.

Christmas was fast approaching and every family was busy buying clothes and shoes for their kids. The fragrance of Christmas breezed past my home and we also needed to get the once in a year “Aso Odun and Bata Odun”. However, there was a little problem.  Dad has been the one buying our Christmas clothes and we staged a demonstration against that. We told him we needed our money in cash so that we can go to the market and sort ourselves out.

I knew I led the family Aluta as little I was and quite unusual of dad, he gave in and gave us our money. I was in secondary school. Boarding school to be precise. The money dad gave us was quite on the high side in respect to the year in question, it was enough to get us a nice dress for Christmas celebration.  

The second day, typical of every harmattan period when you have the sun basking in the freedom of the universe, my sister and I set out for the market.

On our way, my mind did 360 degree. I thought about what I will buy, how I will look and topmost was the sense of freedom I got from dad for collecting that cash. I told myself as I smiled sheepishly, enough is enough jare. Dad is a man. How can he understand what I need as a young girl. How foolish was I. The same dad, who has bought my clothes since I was six when we lost mum, the same man who knows the in and out of the markets in my area, the man who took it upon himself to raise four girls without fear or trembling…

The list is endless but…I never cared. I reassured myself that it was never his job to buy clothes for girls. He can do well in the boys department but for me, I know my needs and taste so he should give me my money.

In less than 20minutes we were in the market and that was where the temptation started. You will agree with me that during festive periods, there are usually large turnouts of traders and wares and it will take a lot of caution to stick to your list.

Suddenly, I saw the Radio. It looks good. A radio? Like seriously? What else do I need to feel among in my boarding school? What else. I was never among the richest so my provisions are limited. I wasn’t that pretty (wasn’t ugly either. I was in the middle range. Don’t try me now o. Time can change a lot of things). The only thing that set me apart and made me popular and even gave me a post as a prefect was because I was brilliant. Yes I was. Nobody can argue about that. I was damn straight brilliant for my age and class and all the rich babes still comes to me for help

So I thought to myself, if I buy this radio, I will take it to school when we resume and boom, I will be the next big thing on campus. At least, people will talk about me for two weeks. So I cunningly asked my sister about her opinion.

While she held her money tightly in her palm, she told me how sonorous the voice from the radio will sound, she told me how I will suddenly become the “big girl”, she told me to go for it but she held her own money like it was going to disappear.

She is my elder sister and I looked at her for that approval. She gave me and supported me. So timidly, we both went to the seller’s store. We greeted her, told her we wanted the radio, she gave us her price, we bargained and I bought the radio.

I tried switching it on but I noticed it wasn’t working until my sister told me I needed to buy a battery for it to work. Funny enough, the little change left with me was just enough for the battery so I looked at my sister  to see if she can do me a favour by paying for the battery from her own money but she didn’t bulge so I had to use my remaining change.

I was so excited that I didn’t even bother to put the battery inside the radio. Instead, I jumped into the next cab and headed straight to my aunt’s place. My aunt, she is a drama to behold. A lot of people think I‘m dramatic, wait until you see my Aunt. Drama is her middle name.

We got to her house and I was excited to show her my new investment. Her kids were young, they were in primary school.  As we stepped into their living room, the kids were so happy to see us and they rushed to embrace us. I love them so much. My first cousins. Adorable kids back then and lovely ladies and mothers now.

So I showed my radio to my aunt and in her usual manner, she told me to power it on. I did and my world changed.


The first sound that came out of the radio was not sonorous. It was deadly and annoying. The sound was “jim jim”. I told myself no way. I pressed the second button and I heard the second sound “Ton ton ton”, I said no way. This is just preamble. When radio want to work, they first do testing testing…I pressed the third button and I heard “dan, dan, dan, dan”…The most annoying part was that, as the radio was making those kids sounds, my aunt’s kids were dancing and laughing away. They saw a toy, I saw a radio.

How on earth can I be that foolish? Even children saw toy. How did that multicolored children toy looked like a real radio to one of the brightest students of Unity? I have never felt stupid in my entire life like I felt that day. My world suddenly stopped moving.

My sister, who was my cheerleader suddenly turned around to say, “Oh I told her, I told her  ...She will not listen” Wait self…We should really have permission to beat up our elder ones once in a while. I was not even moved by her sudden change of tone. I needed my money back and the only way is to take the radio back to the seller.

Oh my aunt, she talked and talked and talked. She abused me, abused my senses, abused my inquisitive nature, and abused everything that I stood for. I really didn’t care. I just wanted my money back and the only way Is for her to follow me to the seller.

After a lot of pleading and crying and begging, she reluctantly followed me while I tucked my tail between my legs and followed her like a lost sheep. The trip to the market nko? I don’t wish it on my enemy. My aunt started the whole story inside the taxi. It was as if ground should open up and swallow me.

Eventually, we got to the market and I pointed the seller to my aunt. My aunt just screamed. Olamide, Ki lo wa de odo obinrin yi (Olamide, what did you find to this woman’s place?) She is a troublesome person. She is the 5th wife of Kabiyesi.

In my head, I was like; let her be the 100th wife of Kabiyesi. Just get me my money but my mouth couldn’t say it because of the igbati oloyi

My aunt moved closed to her and started her story, I mean my story by telling the woman how Olamide is an Omo Oku Orun…( The child of a dead person)…Before I could blink an eye like this, my aunt started crying. She started mentioning how good my mum was. She was saying things like “Iku lo bo la je, Iku lo se ka, Iku mu eni re lo, Iku this, Iku that….Sincerely, I still don’t get what Iku has to do with my foolishness however, since I needed my money back, I also joined her in crying.

Come and see drama that day in the market o. Eventually, she gave me my money minus the battery money. Like I care?

The journey back to my aunt’s place was a quiet one. Immediately we got to her place, I begged her not to tell dad. Begged her with everything I had. She obliged and we left.

Two weeks later, Dad, passed a comment at me for trying to act like I know it all and he used my radio saga.

My sister?...I showed her pepper and I still let her realize her role was not Christ-like even after 15years…..

My cousins? Graduates, Married etc but they never stop teasing me about my chinchong radio

My dad: I can never fault his judgment.

Lesson learnt:
  •  Don’t be in a rush to buy anything. Impulse buying is a bit dangerous. When you eventually buy anything, explore it before leaving the store
  • Don’t try to be like every other person. Stay in your lane. If you can’t afford it, Don’t stretch your limit.
  • Most “big girls” are debtors. They live on debt. Don’t be moved by all the shining stars you see around people. Not all glitters are gold. If it glitters, it’s not gold. If it’s gold, it won’t glitter.
  • Take time, seek counsel. Seek counsel. Seek counsel
  • Don’t be in hurry to take advice. Sample opinions.